Wednesday 22 June 2016

Radio silence

I've been very quiet on the blog this week so far. This is for three important reasons:

1) To meet a deadline for submissions to an anthology I've been keeping my eye on, I decided to shave an hour off my sleep in the mornings and an hour off in the evenings for the fortnight approaching the deadline. This left me approximately 4-5 hours of sleep per night. As I'm in my thirties and no longer in my twenties, this was a terrible idea - doubly so with a full-time job and a toddler. I manage to totally exhaust myself.

Yep


2) On my birthday night, a school night, I had too much to drink. I drank wine and beer, in the wrong order (not 'wine before beer', more like 'one after the other'). As I'm not a fresh-faced trainee teacher, this made recovery much slower. I was, to quote a colleague, like a bear with a sore head. I did not want to do anything apart from recover. Heavy drinking on a school has always been a no-no, now it's doubly so.

Yep


3) My school's doing a marking check this week. I'm usually pretty good at keeping my books marked, but now they've all drifted about two days out of the acceptable range and need marking again. I can't mark during in school hours because:



And I can't mark during Celeste hours because a red pen and some paper is irresistible to a toddler:

Enjoy your feedback


Marking time has been taken out of writing time, so between teaching, marking and toddler, I've written about 100 words over the last few days.

Stephen King never had to deal with this.

Oh.

Wait.

He did.

I have no excuse. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment